Knitting for Beginners 101
Learn to knit a scarf, start to finish! In the first class session, learn the knit stitch and how to cast-on and knit a basic scarf. We will concentrate on getting the stitches right and learn how to fix mistakes. (The time period between the two class sessions is your time to knit the majority of the scarf, bringing it close to a finishing point). We will use the second class session to learn the purl stitch and also finish the scarf - binding off, adding fringe and weaving in the ends. We will learn the basics of knitting terminology and the abbreviation. Students will learn Continental knitting, purling, casting on and binding off. Open to Students age 13 to Adults.
Instructor, Jen Geigley is a knitter, knitwear pattern designer, graphic designer, instructor and author from Des Moines. Her designs have been published in Knit Simple Magazine, Noro Magazine, Knitsy Magazine and Rowan’s Online Publications. She has self-published knitwear patterns online since 2010.
KNITTING FOR BEGINNERS 101:
- DATE: Tuesdays, October 29 and November 19, 2019
- TIME: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- LOCATION: Urbandale High School - Room 108 (7111 Aurora Ave)
- DEADLINE TO REGISTER: October 22, 2019
- FEE: $40.00/person* ($45.00 after October 22)
- one pair of size US 15 (10 mm) knitting needles (bamboo or plastic is best)
- two skeins of Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick yarn (both skeins should be the same color)
- one large darning/tapestry needle
- ** Yarn and needles can be found at Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby or your local yarn store.
*Register at least one week in advance of a camp start date and receive a $5.00 discount off your registration. If you register online, the camp price listed will automatically reflect the $5.00 discount, if applicable. The price already reflects the $5.00 discount. Mailed registrations must be postmarked at least one week prior to camp start date.